Monday, September 27, 2010

Volterra

Up, up, up! Lots of winding uphill roads to get to Volterra because of a closed-off exit under construction. Maybe it was a good thing though; it was a much more scenic view. By the way, the city of Volterra is actually behind me, the buildings down there may be part of 'le periferie', the peripheries, but I'm not sure.
I know I have so many landscape pictures, but I can't help it. I wish pictures with my camera could do it justice. It's amazing to be able to stand here and take it all in, all around. I love it!

This city reminded me both of San Gimignano and Siena.
However, San Gimignano seemed stagnant, like it would be deserted if not for the tourists. In Volterra this didn't feel like the case. It was much much more tranquil than Siena, and much cleaner. It really was a pretty city. Calm, relaxed, and small-townish.

I'm getting used to seeing things like this all over the place. I hope I still notice and appreciate them by the end of my stay though. There's so much in the details of all these cities.

My first thoughts were of the big chess set that Jasen and Neal played with in Germany, I think it was. Fun! I'm awful at chess, but I would have been willing to stop and play if someone else had wanted to.

Neal, why do I always think of you and then Loren and Russell when I see trolls or gnomes or dwarfs or the like?

This building was full of various statues, each of which had been "ruined" (according to David) with the addition of ties, scarfs and whatnot. I didn't much care for the bright satin on the stone either. Mostly it looked silly.

How many cities do you know that post a sign outside the city-center wall that tell you what to visit there? It made me laugh to think of the sign at the entrance of Castle Rock that lists all the churches in the town. Maybe it was the same sort of suggestion list, visit them all, pick your favorite... ;)

Roman theater. They wanted to charge you to go through a gate and get a bit closer. No thanks. We walked a bit up the hill and probably got an even better view of the whole thing. At least that's what I'll tell myself. I'm satisfied with 'free'.

Looks like someone cut this housing in half. The hallways can't be big enough for two people! Maybe there aren't even any hallways, just little rooms. Crazy. Dad, that would make the hallways in the old CR office quite efficient and roomy in comparison, no?

Alright, this building I had to take a picture of. I think they actively use it as a prison. We were walking next to it before, but I kept seeing signs on the fence that signified I wasn't to take any pictures. I controlled myself and didn't take any till I was in the public park next door. Anybody know why pictures from the ground of the walls of that place would be prohibited? *shrug...

Vineyard on the way back. So pretty. I can still enjoy the lines and the greenery of it all.
David moved while I was taking a panoramic shot with my camera. Now he has a twin.

grapes are neat.
I don't like eating grapes with seeds though! That's all I've had out here. Talk about a shock the first time I popped one into my mouth! Grapes shouldn't crunch like that. Yes, I am that spoiled, that seedless grapes are pretty much the only way to go now.


Just for you Mom, for all those neat spiderweb photos you've sent me.

No comments:

Post a Comment